With lots of holiday parties coming up at school, these could be the perfect treat to send to school with the kids, maybe a little messy but pretty cute once they’re all put together!
- 2 sticks unsalted butter room temp
- 2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 4 large eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
For Frosting and Christmas Trees:
- 12 sugar cones
- 2 lbs icing sugar plus more for dusting
- 2 sticks unsalted butter room temperature
- 1/2 cup milk
- 20 drops green food coloring
- Pre-heat oven to 350F. Add paper liners to cupcake tin.
- Mix butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
- Sift the remaining dry ingredients together in a separate bowl.
- Whisk together the milk, vanilla, and sour cream in a small bowl.
- Add the dry mixture to the creamed butter in three batches alternating with the milk/sour cream mixture while the mixer is running on low. Mix just until combined.
- Scoop about three tablespoons for each cupcake. Bake at 350 for about 15-20 minutes or until the center is set.
- Cream the butter. Add the sugar and mix on high. Add the milk a tablespoon at a time until desired consistency is reached.
- In a separate bowl add about half of the frosting and the green food coloring. Mix until combined.
- Cover the cupcake in white frosting. It doesn’t have to be smooth, a bit of texture will make it look more like snow.
- Use a spatula to apply a thin layer of green buttercream to the surface of the cone. This will help the dollops you apply stick to the cone better as well as making the trees totally green.
- Use a number 30 tip to pipe star-shaped dollops onto the surface of the cone beginning at the bottom and working to the top.
- Sift icing sugar onto the cupcake and it’s ready to serve!Source: Preppy Kitchen