It’s National Cookie Day today! I was originally going to share a recipe for a holiday snack to share with the kids, but obviously we need another cookie recipe on cookie day! I have never heard of cheesecake cookies before but they sound delicious, and you can have your own batch in just half an hour! So much easier than a real cheesecake!
8 oz cream cheese (room temperature)
1/2 cup butter (room temperature)
1 1/4 cup granulated sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 1/2 cups flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
Red and green food coloring
1/2 teaspoon peppermint extract
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper or silicone mats.
- Beat cream cheese and butter together at high speed until fluffy and smooth; 1-2 minutes. Add sugar to the butter mixture and beat until fully incorporated and fluffy; 1-2 minutes. Beat in the eggs and vanilla; 1 minute.
- In a separate, medium-sized bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder and salt. Gradually add the dry ingredients to the butter mixture and stir just until incorporated. Do not over-mix.
- Separate the dough into three small bowls. Refrigerate for 15 minutes.
- Once chilled, add in food coloring and incorporate into the dough until your desired color is reached. Add the peppermint extract to the dough you’ll be adding the green food coloring to. Dough will still be sticky, but easier to work with! If you find it’s hard to work with, put back in the refrigerator for a few minutes.
- To create a cookie, take 1/2 tbsp of each color dough into your hands and roll together between the palms of your hands to create the marbling effect of your choice. Be careful to not over incorporate to avoid mixing the colors too much. Repeat for the rest of the dough and place on prepared baking sheets.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 10-11 minutes. Cookies should be light in color, not browned, and just starting to brown on the bottom.
- Cool cookies on the baking sheet for a few minutes before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely.
Source: Yellow Bliss Road